Thread: Crm2120
View Single Post
Unread 04-20-08, 10:57 AM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
Panel

I looked at a variety of panel configs and believe that perhaps the 530 and 430 are a bit of overkill for the money. I kept one KX155, and jacked it to my existing CDI with GS, with my DME. I put a 530 on top, plus a GPSS roll steering interface, plus a Garmin TIS xponder which they assured us is upgradeable to ADSB. Hooked the TIS to the 530 for traffic.

Then put a 496 on the glare shield which has the internal XM weather and music. This also gives me runway diagrams, which I don't believe are yet available on the 530/430, and for a lot less money. Plus money saved on the 530/430 weather interface add on.

I have heard that the 596 may have approach chart view coming, so it might be worth it to wait for that. By using a 396/496/596....vs a 2nd 530 or 430 you get constantly updated technology for a lot less money and hassle vs a 2nd certified GPS, and you can usually sell your previous portable for 60% ot the original buy in. As long as you keep an existing radio in your panel you are then totally covered, with constantly new technology for only a $1000+/- every couple of years for Garmins (or whomevers) then latest best technology.

Just my thoughts on it