Thread: Crm2120
View Single Post
Unread 04-16-08, 07:02 AM
N456TL

Dave Underwood is on a distinguished road
I went through a lot of similar thinking a couple of years ago (actually is was 5 or 6 years ago - time flies) and went for a Garmin & King solution.

The reason for this note is to point out that you can jam a lot into the radio stack if you think about it. I think the best answer is a mix of both Garmin 530 & 430 with a bit of King thrown in for good luck.

From top to bottom I got an audio panel, a 530, a 430, a mode S transponder and a King ADF in the radio stack and replaced the old marker beacon unit with a DME display.

Why the ADF? I grew up with them and there are still quite a few ADF/DME only approaches here in Europe. There is also very slow up take in GPS approaches. You can also listen to the radio as well. The DME is likely over kill, but it did clean up the panel and was not very costly.

FYI - there are pretty good deals to be had if you are willing to get second hand.

The 530/430 combination allows great flexibility while flying IFR. I normal display the storm scope output on the 530 in map mode and run the 430 in HSI mode.

I have also done some flying recently behind a G1000 panel and it is pretty neat as well.

My two cents worth.

Blue skies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	337 panel.JPG
Views:	1051
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	573