Thread: Garmin 496...
View Single Post
Unread 11-26-07, 05:00 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
I agree that the 496 is a wonderful tool. I also agree that onboard radar can't be beat.

Avionic International, www.avionix.com, has an interesting note on weather radar.
"
According to the National Transportation Safety Board, well over 200 fatalities have been attributed to thunderstorm-related accidents over the past five years. Many of these accidents could have been avoided if the aircraft were equipped with weather radar or stormscope systems..

Today, there are few valid excuses for not having one of these systems aboard your aircraft. The cost has come down dramatically on new units and some reconditioned systems can be had for well under $2,500. The best models integrate navigation, course plotting and checklist information on the screen along with weather data. This gives you features and information useful even in CAVU conditions. "

Back before I had a GPS, I was headed for Beaver Island, and it was VFR, but very hazy. I pointed my radar down, and painted the island, long before I could make it out.

I looked at www.avionix.com, and they have refurbished radar systems for less than $8K The GDL-69 (data link weather on your 530) has a list price of $6,200.

It would seem to me that if you are looking to upgrade your systems, a radar system would be a better investment than a GDL-69. The catch is the pod that is required to hang the radar out on the wing. The pod's all accept the 10 inch antenna, but not the 12 inch antenna. They are extremely scarce, and there is no "new" supply. However, I remember Payton McCool had a radar system in his plane, a "Weather Scout", and it mounted in the leading edge of the wing, no pod required, and those units are less than $6K. They are not as versitile as the pod mounted units, but far more afordable, installable, and give you real time weather.

Just food for thought.