View Single Post
Unread 08-30-07, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
No one formally organizes the flight portion of the fly-ins. Volunteer members handle things like the meeting room, and, when possible, group rates for the hotels, but the flights are done individually. I have been one of the organizers on three of the fly-ins, including the first one in Treasure Cay, Bahamas, and the last one in the Lucaya Resort, Grand Bahama Island. You can go see the web page www.337skymaster.org/2007flyin.htm announcing the last meeting to get an idea of the planning.

Please note that there is a link to web page www.consultresearch.com/337flite.htm with flight procedures for the international portion of the trip. But that's all we do in terms of organizing the flights, and all of this is done at no charge. Attendees only pay a set amount which the organizers establish to defray the costs of the meeting rooms and cleanup, meeting room coffee and tea, presentation equipment rental, and included social activities (typically a reception cocktail and a sunset cruise).

I share all this with you because it would be interesting to consider the next meeting in Mexico. We would have to raise it to the membership at large, to make sure that there is enough interest. In that regard, I have two concerns: the longer trip over water and the additional cost of insurance to fly to Mexico.

While we have had good attendance at both Bahamian fly-ins, you would be surprised at the relatively large number of people who declined to go because of the over-water hop -- even though it was only 50 miles and in a twin. On each fly-in I talked to several owners who read my ditching page at www.consultresearch.com/337ditch.htm (which makes the case that it's just as safe as over land), called me for additional information (and hand-holding), and still declined. The much longer trip to Mexico may be an even tougher sell.

Anyhow, I hope this helps.

Ernie