Thread: Oshksh
View Single Post
Unread 06-15-07, 07:57 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Well, here is my 2 cents:

Do you like sleeping in a wet, musty tent? If I were 15 years younger I might do it. Not today. I don't like even sleeping in a sleeping bag anymore. If my two boys would do it (14 & 16) I might try it. Like Larry said, it rains almost every day. But if you were in the tent area under some trees, well might not be too bad.

I have done several different ways, coming from Idaho (old home) I flew into Milwaukee and stayed in a hotel. Rented a car and drove each day to OSH. BTW, this was a Skymaster Fly In organized by Dick Whitiker. There were about 10 or 12 337's at Timmerman Field. Dick Whitiker flew his C421 in (go figure) was anyone else at that one? Let's see that was 1989 I think. Anyway, I think you could still secure a room in Milwaukee. There are a few small towns going toward OSH that might have space but the closer to Whitman Field the less chance you will have. One year we drove the motorhome to OSH from Idaho. That was really the way to do it. Except for the drive, which I really didn't mind, having the RV was great. We did it again last year from Michigan. We stay at the Circle R campground. It's just 1/4 mile or so south of Whitman Field. Go back to the RV for lunch and take a quick nap and then head for the daily airshow. Pretty much an airshow most of the time above the campground. Right off the end of runway 36. One year from Michigan we flew into OSH for the day and back out that night. I got the fly the only Skymaster with Composite Props from OSH to GRR that night. Kinda fun, now I have those wood props on my bird. One year from Michigan we flew into Appleton, Jerry's choice, and that worked fine too. Bus leaves there for OSH every 30 minutes and then takes you back.

However you do it just do it! For your first time try the hotel south like Milwaukee or north like Green Bay. Or maybe just come to Michigan and ride with the Michigan Flyers. Not sure when Larry and Jerry are going but I will be attending Friday and Saturday or Sunday. I have an extra seat.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years