Thread: Oshksh
View Single Post
Unread 06-14-07, 12:05 AM
Cessna O-2 Enthusiast

o2skymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Oshkosh or Bust 2007

Hi Skymaster Forum,

I'm an avid O-2 enthusiast. I've been a forum member for awhile and posted once in a while so I thought I'd post this for some member input. I've never been to Oshkosh/Airventure but I would really like to go. It looks like it will work out with my work schedule this year.

What is the best way to try to see Oshkosh if I can only get a week off and I live in Atlanta? I'm not a private pilot yet.

Originally, I was hoping to get 2 weeks off and drive up in my RV with the family - but that's not an option now. So, it looks like:

A) fly commercial into ______ (which city?) and rent a car/drive/get a motel.

B) fly commerical and pack a tent to live in tent camping city.

C) hitch a ride with a pilot heading that way and grab a rental car & motel -or- still take the tent.

D) other suggestions??

I found the Airventure Rideshare website (http://www.airventure.org/rideshare) and I've posted a message but, so far, just one hit from a fellow Georgian -- but he was looking for someone IFR rated to go along in case they ran into weather.

Any Southern Skymasters looking to make the trip up? I don't know all the regs, but if it's possible, I'd pay my fair share of expenses. It would be just me on this trip. My wife and two girls are going to have "girl time" while dad's away "playing with airplanes." Ha ha.

Anyway, I'd love to hear suggestions from past Oshkosh'ers. Tip and tricks to maximize my time and so forth. Even though I don't contribute a ton, I get enjoyment by living through the experiences and postings of others. My private pilot ticket should be coming in the soon-to-be-future and I'll be working on my hours toward getting that O-2A.

Cheers-

Mike
"Oshkosh or Bust 2007"