Thread: IFR BC Approach
View Single Post
Unread 06-29-06, 07:34 AM

travis is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi,

Just a quick comment... I am an instructor for Bombardier Aerospace in the Lear 45 so I deal with this quite often. The Waypoints are not named by Jepp, they are named by the FAA. With GPS and now WASS the FAA is trying to name all the intersections in the database with 5 letter words (trying to get away from names like "OSI24" OSI is the Woodside VOR and the intersection is @ 24 DME)! As far as the DME is concerned... The map on the GPS (I have a 530 in my Skymaster) is GPS derived in fact there are no true DME receivers in any of the Garmin GPS products. All "DME" in this case is actually GPS calculated distance. In other words there is never a slant range error. All that said, when you are looking at the map the GPS is showing a course and range from point to point (the only thing that GPS knows) instead of a place / bearing / distance. So as you progress through a sequence of waypoints the Garmin will always show distance (different than DME) to the next waypoint. As opposed to the actual DME from the navaid.

Hope that helps a little

_travis