View Single Post
Unread 07-13-02, 01:46 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
re Garmin 295

The HSI steering bars (like the ILS) has a vertical bar that will track with a preset rate of decent and a location/altitude that you define as a "DH". When initialized, the 295 will warn you a minute or so prior to your required initial decent point (determined by calculated ground speed). You then fly the decent by tracking the "glide slope" horizontal bar. It will continue to provide your required altitude along the decent path and warn you coming up to the wp/altitude.

This feature was not inplemented in the 530 due to possible misuse, whereas he 295 is a VFR device and there is no way it could be construed as a IFR certified product. Hmmmm. Guess we call this "lawyer limited" <G>.

It works very well. The 90B has one as well but it is very primitive to the point of being useless.

In fact I can take the output of the 295 and download it on Flightstar and see my entire flight. Will output time vrs L/Long, or inversely upload my entire flightplan from Flightstar which beats handloading the 90B. ( all of two - six waypoints <G>). Try that with the 530 ---- no way! I can update the database via the internet for 30 dollars. I do this about once every 90 days.

Extremely powerful for the $$. In fact the only difference I really see is the approach overlays are missing ie. holding patterns and some of the more complex gps approaches. I see most of the gps approaches in the database including all the airways / intersections and routes for the bahamas and the caribbean and Canada. It doesn't have the missed proceedures in DB either. It has all the interstate rest stops etc. whereas the 530 doesn't <G>

fyi

Bob

Last edited by Bob Cook : 07-13-02 at 01:52 PM.