Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Install Aspen Evolution 2000 (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=4420)

fsnewton 12-22-18 10:44 PM

Install Aspen Evolution 2000

Hi Forum!

We're on the first leg of installing the Aspen Evolution 2000. The original plan was to just do a 1000, but since the Evolution 2000 Max will eliminate the need for back up steam gauges, it was a no brainer to get the 2000. This old bird when finished will get a new custom panel, the aspen install, and new Airtex leather interior. I'll keep the forum posted with pics.

fsnewton 12-24-18 02:08 AM

Current Panel

1 Attachment(s)
This is what the panel looks like today...

hharney 12-24-18 09:29 AM

Control Yokes

These guys do an awesome job reconditioning control yokes. Highly recommended

https://www.saircorp.com/home.php?cat=255

fsnewton 12-24-18 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hharney (Post 23380)
These guys do an awesome job reconditioning control yokes. Highly recommended

https://www.saircorp.com/home.php?cat=255

That's a great idea! I've seen a couple threads on it...it would be a shame to have a new panel with those control yokes!

rrolland 12-26-18 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Scott:

I think you will have a great panel with the Aspen 2000.

I had an PFD Pro 1000 put in when I bought my current P337. Love the functionality.

See attached picture of my panel. Only change was last week when I swapped out the Dynon D2 for a D3.

Agree with Herb on the yokes. Saito does a great job. Had them done on my previous aircraft. Came back looking brand new.

Post pics when you are done. 84E has a good home....

Richard

kilr4d 01-03-19 09:02 AM

What autopilot do you have?

fsnewton 01-03-19 10:43 AM

Autopilot

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilr4d (Post 23401)
What autopilot do you have?

I have a Sys 30 with alt hold.

Scott

fsnewton 02-17-19 12:10 PM

Aspen Install

Well folks, it looks like I’m that guy this time.

Working towards completing my avionics install and the price has ballooned considerably. The labor has gone from 65 hours to over 150 and counting. The original estimate included a clause that the owner would be contacted if any issues arise requiring exceeding the quote. Unfortunately they let us know they exceeded the estimate after the fact. After receiving the second quote with the increased labor hours (they were at 80 hours and estimated another 40), I reemphasized to not exceed a total of 120 hours without permission. Friday’s update had us at 148 hours. I sent them a letter telling them to stop all work until we discuss the issue. Any thoughts on what we can do different? So far the workmanship looks good, and conversations have been professional, but it’s frustrating that the estimate continues to be off even after working on it for 4 weeks.

Scott

kilr4d 02-20-19 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsnewton (Post 23502)
Well folks, it looks like I’m that guy this time.

Working towards completing my avionics install and the price has ballooned considerably. The labor has gone from 65 hours to over 150 and counting. The original estimate included a clause that the owner would be contacted if any issues arise requiring exceeding the quote. Unfortunately they let us know they exceeded the estimate after the fact. After receiving the second quote with the increased labor hours (they were at 80 hours and estimated another 40), I reemphasized to not exceed a total of 120 hours without permission. Friday’s update had us at 148 hours. I sent them a letter telling them to stop all work until we discuss the issue. Any thoughts on what we can do different? So far the workmanship looks good, and conversations have been professional, but it’s frustrating that the estimate continues to be off even after working on it for 4 weeks.

Scott

Can you give us a rundown of the surprises they encountered???

fsnewton 02-20-19 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilr4d (Post 23513)
Can you give us a rundown of the surprises they encountered???

Well first, I've talked to the DOM since the last post and we might have had some paperwork glitches. When he went back and scrubbed the numbers the total looked much more reasonable. One of the biggest issues ended up being locating a home for the RSM while puncturing the pressure vessel. Also the standard "Skymasters are hard to work on" position. They'll be done either Friday or next Monday...I'll post pics as I get then.

In short, the shop reached out and was quick to make it right...we're back on track.

Scott

rrolland 02-21-19 01:29 PM

Locating the RSM also took some work when I put in the PFD Pro. Ended up being placed nearly directly above the pilot seat. The speakers had to be moved to reduce interference.

Install has been working really well and I am happy with the Aspen.

fsnewton 04-02-19 08:18 PM

Finishing Up

2 Attachment(s)
This has been a tough install, but we're almost done. New pics for the new panel. Next up, interior install.

Scott

Skywalker 04-03-19 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsnewton (Post 23593)
This has been a tough install, but we're almost done. New pics for the new panel. Next up, interior install.

Scott

Congratulations, your panel looks great;-)