Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Front ram air heat exchanger control cable (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=3915)

raykenyon 08-09-16 03:54 PM

Front ram air heat exchanger control cable

1st ever post--1974 P337 serial No. 166---The front ram air heat exchanger control cable is completely missing--I can buy the control cable--but I can find nothing on the cable routing--where through the front bulkhead or how it routes through the engine compartment--looked in both the service and parts manuals--nothing--Suspect the cable was removed/broken in Florida by previous owner--no need for any turbo heat--Plane is now in upstate NY--need some heat in the Fall-Winter and Early Spring--Maybe a foolish thing I have overlooked--but I ask for help from the combined wisdom--thanks---Ray

hharney 08-10-16 08:31 PM

Is that the ram air that supplies the Janitrol gas heater? Is that the cable you are missing?

raykenyon 08-11-16 07:47 AM

cable routing

Hello Herb--

I have a new replacement cable---the old cable is completely removed--yes, the cable controls the ram air valve in front of heat exchanger that passes turbo air into the janitrol unit.

It is the "routing" of the cable from the heat control levers at the bottom of the copilot instrument panel--through the front bulkhead and through the engine compartment to the ram air "butterfly" valve---that I can find no info on.

I am confident Cessna had a specific (safe) way they installed this cable and I want to put the new cable in correctly.

Thanks for your reply.----Ray

Red Air Rambo 08-11-16 05:10 PM

Mine is down for annual so I'll go look tomorrow and see if I can help you out.

--Brent

raykenyon 08-12-16 07:13 AM

cable routing

Much appreciated--Ray

Red Air Rambo 08-12-16 03:55 PM

Ok, if we are talking about the cable on the valve off the Janitrol Heat Exchanger, it runs down 1st attaching to an arm off the exchanger, then back to the battery, then up to a point on the firewall midway between the vacuum pump and inner (lower) starter contactor (should look like a quarter with a hole in the middle). Then thru the bottom of the avionics bay and into cabin behind the center console then parallels the defrost cable to the lever. FYI, mine is a 73.

--Brent

raykenyon 08-13-16 10:01 PM

Cable routing

Hello Brent-
Planning to head down to the hanger tomorrow with your info in hand and see what I can figure out-thank you so much for taking the time to try to help.

Best-Ray

Red Air Rambo 08-14-16 12:37 AM

Ray, if you need I can send pics, but I will need a phone number...still have a flip phone lol

raykenyon 08-15-16 07:47 PM

Hey Brent-

didn't get down to the hanger today--plant problems--tomorrow I hope--cable goes back to the battery box--under the battery box?--and makes a 90 degree along the front bulkhead?

Ray

Red Air Rambo 08-15-16 07:55 PM

90 degree bend at the front of the battery box then direct to the hole that is probably plugged between the vacuum pump and starter contactor.

raykenyon 08-16-16 06:05 PM

Cable for Ex. Control

Hello Brent---
Partial joy! I did find the hole through the front bulkhead located right where you said it was. It was completely filled with press. Sealant

Of course I can see the battery box. If it is possible to shoot a couple of cell phone pics (uh-oh-flip phone) of the cable at the batt. Box location- it would help a lot. Don,t mean to impose but I want to try to get this right. No problem either way-you have been a big help.

Thanks for all-Ray

Red Air Rambo 08-16-16 06:13 PM

Ok Ray,
I'll take my ipad with me tomorrow and get some pics.

raykenyon 08-16-16 07:27 PM

My cell

607-226-0706

Red Air Rambo 08-17-16 01:18 PM

Ray, I sent one from my phone but I have some better ones from my Ipad, if you could post or text your email address I'll send those too.

--Brent

Red Air Rambo 08-18-16 12:24 AM

Enjoyed talking to you today Ray, best of luck. Call me if I can be of any more help.
--Brent