Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   IO360 - Factory new vs Factory rebuilt (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=1387)

Frank Benvin 02-16-05 10:16 PM

IO360 - Factory new vs Factory rebuilt

What are the pro's and con's of buying a factory new vs a factory rebuilt IO-360. Has anyone bought one lately?? What are the cost differences?? If you have bought one, have you had any problems and if so how is warrenty coverage and were there any hidden warrenty costs??

Thanks

Frank

WebMaster 02-17-05 09:17 AM

I bought a reman engine for the front, when we bought our plane in 2001. I am in the process of buying one for the rear, now. As I recall, there is about a $5K difference between new and reman, with reman less expensive. Also, depending on the letters after the basic description, they may not actually offer new as an option.
I can not comment on the warranty, since I have not had to use it.

SkyKing 02-17-05 11:25 AM

Reman

Frank,

I've got a TSIO-360CB reman in the rear slot on our P-model, which was installed in 1996 and haven't had any problems... everything as advertised and it's a very smooth running engine.

SkyKing

Kim Geyer 02-19-05 11:20 PM

factory remans

We have installed 5 remans in the past 2 yrs. 3 had to go back to the factory. 1 for an oil leak-- new crank case, point 8 hrs. 2 for magneto impulse coupling stop pins going through the gear box.
one had 50 hrs. the other had 136 hrs. Yea their warrenty covered the repairs, but still not a very good track record. I guess if they make 200 hrs. they will be OK
Kim

kevin 02-20-05 10:53 AM

I had one out of two remans purchased about five years ago go back to the factory for warranty. It was a real challenge to get the warranty honored, mainly because my Continental rep was in Alaska (even though I am in Oregon) and not worth a damn. Once I got the factory's attention, the service was good.

I am torn about remans. For years, remans have been the smartest thing to get, because whether true or not, most airplane buyers put more stock in a factory reman than any other type of overhaul. But I wonder if that is still true today...or more importantly, if it will be true in another five years. I suspect not, the way the factory is going lately...

Kevin

WebMaster 02-20-05 02:48 PM

Well, the challenge we had was, is this a heavy case, is there a VAR crank in there?? The uncertainty led us to do the reman, which we are waiting for now. When it gets here, the next overhaul will be an overhaul. We will know they are heavy case, var cranks.
The cost diffence was beyond substantial.

SkyKing 02-20-05 03:42 PM

Bursting bubble...

Larry,

Are you aware of the latest jury settlement against Lycoming (and next will be TCM!) concerning the VAR cranks... and I dare say, falsification of data? These are NOT what they're 'CRACKED' up to be! Pun intended!!! You'd be gar better off without splitting cases and keeping the old crankerola!

SkyKing

WebMaster 02-20-05 05:02 PM

It had a crack. Splitting wasn't an option.
Oh, and I am aware of the decision against Lycoming.