Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Current engine reman/rebuild/replacement prices? (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=3922)

kilr4d 09-19-16 04:17 PM

Current engine reman/rebuild/replacement prices?

Good afternoon everyone.

For those of you approaching overhaul, what are your plans and what are you estimating for costs?

Thanks,

John

edasmus 09-19-16 04:51 PM

Hi John,

I'm always giving this frequent thought as my engines are now past recommended TBO. My hope is to keep on going with my current engines. I am about to complete my first year running past the "magical/mythical" 1500 hour number. It's been a good year and my plane will be in the shop in early October for it's annual inspection so stay tuned.

As for cost, I don't have precise numbers. I've learned over 14 years of C337 (substitute any type as you wish) ownership, it's better to work in round numbers and don't sweat the small stuff. (obviously a relative term) I'm sure Herb can give precise numbers as he recently installed a factory engine on his plane.

Anyway, I figure if I choose to realistically keep my plane going for the long term, $100,000 should be a reasonable educated guess. I figure two engines (maybe factory), two prop overhauls, ADS-B out installation, plus odds&ends, could easily get to that number. I would also guess the margin of error here could be plus/minus another $10,000 if I had really bad luck and needed to replace props rather than overhaul.

Rather astounding I suppose considering 14 years ago I purchased the entire airplane for that with low time factory engines and a new annual inspection at my shop, and now if I choose to keep going, I get to do it again!

This could be a fun thread! Good Luck!

Ed

hharney 09-23-16 11:24 AM

Uhmmmmm.........not sure I want to add up all the numbers on the front engine change

It's a lot, but you can always call Continental. They are really helpful folks down there. They will have all the costs and options. I bought a factory reman w/ the better main bearings for the extra TBO (wasn't all that much more). Installed in May last year and it's go about 175 hours on it today, all good so far. This is the second reman I have done. I keep the two engines about 1000 hours apart from each other that way it's just one engine at a time (sorry Ed) and I always have a faithful powerplant that I know and love (for those over the water and night IFR trips).

I could add it all up if you really want to know but I really don't want to know :)

I did my hydraulic pump overhaul, prop governor overhaul and a few other little items when I did the exchange. Doing the exchange cuts a lot of down time vs overhaul at a shop too.

kilr4d 09-27-16 11:36 AM

Ok thanks guys.

When you hear the SR20 crowd gripe about one IO-360 it does give you pause to consider two.

n86121 09-28-16 03:15 PM

Over the years I've done two engines

Good afternoon!

My original engines were turbo TSIO 360A factory, which meant light case etc.

When the front one developed a crack, over the Chesapeake bay at dusk, I replaced with factory new. When a mechanic failed to properly torque the rear, and the main bearings shifted, I replaced that one with an overhaul by well trusted local engine shop.

Both went to heavy cases and larger crankshaft, thus become tsio 360AB.

My suffering and research were extensive.

An old timer at Continental (Dick Conrad?) told me in the 90's that with these upgrades made it the same engine that gets an 1,800 overhaul time in a Seneca, but the airframe mfrs set the tbo, not the engine mfr. Cessna never had reason to increase the tbo to recognize this on an aircraft out of production.

Basically what I found out was that the bottom ends go and go and go. One friend who flew 135 cargo with Senecas said the bottom of their engines were up around 4-5,000 hours! Obviously heavy regular use, but relevant nonetheless.

For me, whenever a cylinder would get weak, I would replace with NEW, because I wanted zero cycles of metal heat fatigue. An overhauled cylinder may physically meet spec, but may also have 10,000 hours on it.

When it came time to OH rear engine, 4 out of 6 of my cylinders were low time, and simply overhauled, and two bought new. BIG savings. Like a good barkeep, I had arranged with local shop to set aside a heavy case for me when the time came.

I always run oil analysis, bore scope, etc. If the compression is reasonable, and the oil analysis is happy, then there is nothing critical wearing out.

It has been a few years, (ye gods), but I think a decent overhaul by reputable engine shop would be around $25-30k each?

I have also replaced both turbos with the newer style, and I recall about $3500 each new. Can be replaced at OH if needed.

So far so good!

hharney 09-30-16 10:24 PM

It one thing to have a number for the Reman or Overhaul cost but don't leave out all the install, remove, freight, etc etc etc.........also most props are overhauled at engine change. Governor ovhl, and components like vac pumps, hydraulic pumps, fuel injection systems. So anyway it's like the list never ends, because you say well I have a brand new engine so I better not put this 25 year old part on it..........

rmorris 10-13-16 02:18 PM

turbo swap?

David (aka Big Cheese),

what is the part number on the turbos you put in that you call newer model, and where did you get them for 3500 each?

Last time I overhauled either front or rear, it was well north of 5k...o a 3500 replacement, assuming similar perf or better, sounds awfully attractive.

Also, was this a swap using 337 paperwork, or straight out certified via STC etc?

Robert

PS. Rear engine now getting close to 1400 hours, and burning through oil a bunch. Plus been thinking about bigger engines to go faster...so open to any ideas people have on this thread about overhaul, new, or straight out upgrade

n86121 10-13-16 03:14 PM

Aha

So the turbocharger (Part no 406-970) was upgraded sometime in the past, circa 1998?

Then overhauled more recently 2011. That's 13 years. I can live with that.

So the overhaul was about $3500 or so by 'Approved Turbo' in Vero Beach FL, as I recall.

As with any turbo twin maintenance and cost.....it is all a blur...

rmorris 10-23-16 10:35 PM

engine options

1) Last time I had turbos overhauled (which is not too far back) it was well north of 6K each...I also used ATC, but maybe I didn't say the magic words? :)

2) no one has any comments on different engine options (other than just throw in another of the same)?

Red Air Rambo 10-23-16 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmorris (Post 21157)
1) Last time I had turbos overhauled (which is not too far back) it was well north of 6K each...I also used ATC, but maybe I didn't say the magic words? :)

2) no one has any comments on different engine options (other than just throw in another of the same)?

I thought mine was around $3500, maybe it depends on how many parts they have to replace? FYI I also used them and was completely satisfied,

Only other engine option I can think of other than the turbo-prop test mule would be Riley's 520 Super Sky Rocket. Probably cheaper to find one than convert one though.

Brent

Red Air Rambo 10-23-16 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Air Rambo (Post 21158)
I thought mine was around $3500, maybe it depends on how many parts they have to replace? FYI I also used them and was completely satisfied,

Only other engine option I can think of other than the turbo-prop test mule would be Riley's 520 Super Sky Rocket. Probably cheaper to find one than convert one though.

Brent

They have quite a good climb rate, both dual and single engine, I just did not like the weight penalty, or the exclusiveness of parts. People I know that had them loved them. The climb rate is around 750 single and 2500 fpm both, it can go....but with fuel burn to match.

edasmus 11-21-16 01:30 PM

I just thought I'd post that my Skymaster is through the annual and it went reasonably well. Engines seem to be all good with clean filters, good compression's, and scoping all cylinders yielded all "pretty" pictures of valves. Soooo, carry on I shall. Two factory engines installed in 1988 that now have about 1570 SFRM. Hoping for another good year.

Thanks, Ed