Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   FAA Airplane Flifght Manual (AFM) (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=4364)

cessnadriver 08-05-18 10:19 AM

FAA Airplane Flifght Manual (AFM)

Hello ALL.
Well here's a new concern of mine, due to a new instructor. I'm finally starting my CLT training BUT there is a wrinkle! My instructor has told me that my "Owner Manual" (D305-13) does not meet the requirements of a FAA Approved Flight Manual. So I contacted Cessna and asked them. Cessna publications department says that Cessna prior to 1976 did not issue a flight manual with their early models of C337s. But my instructor insists there they (Cessna) had to issue one???? Has anyone else had this issue with an instructor and or FAA Examiner?
Thanks.
BILLS

Mich3773 08-06-18 07:54 AM

Does FAA Advisory Circular 60-6B help? Paraphrasing it ...
4a) You must have the documentation in effect at the time your airplane was certified.

5c)
- A AFM is not required before March 1 1979
- A AFM is not required for types certified at less than 6000 pounds

5e) The important information from the AFM is the operating limitations, markings, placards, and maximum demonstrated engine cooling conditions. (All of which I suspect is in your Owner's Manual)
What specific information is your Instructor looking for?

Would your local Flight Standards District Office be able to mediate with your Instructor?

cessnadriver 08-06-18 04:13 PM

Hello. My instructor is convinced that Cessna had a FAA Approved flight manual. I talked with Cessna publications about this and they said that there was no flight manual issued for that old of airplane, and REF: the AC 60-6. But since I have a copy of the original wt & bal and equipment list my instructor thinks these documents where part of the flight manual. I DON'T KNOW! Except for flying for the Civil Air Patrol which has newer airplanes, I never rented a airplane that had a FAA approved flight manual I always had the owner's manual that the flight schools sold? The specific information he is looking for is a by serial/"N" numbered flight manual?
Thanks for your reply.
Regards, BILLS

hharney 08-07-18 12:53 PM

BillS

There is and never was an AFM for early models. Find a different CFI, good grief these people are insane !

cessnadriver 08-07-18 05:15 PM

Ya, I know. But here's the thing. I need to use this MEI because the other MEI I was going to use has a Air charter business and is much too busy. The new MEI is located right here at my local airport where my plane is. This is TOO good to be true! I understand that the issue to you and me are pretty trivial but this MEI is concern with the FAA flight Examiner and his view of this AFM issue. I have printed out the commits from Cessna publications and AC 60-6 para 5 as proof that my older C337 does have an AFM. I appreciate your commits.
Regards.
BILLS

Flyer770 08-08-18 07:58 AM

Everything I’ve seen with the older stuff is the owners manual, along with an airplane specific weight and balance form and equipment list attached and the cover marked with the registry and serial numbers. Seems to satisfy the local CFIs and DFEs. Maybe it’ll be good enough for your preferred CFI?

cessnadriver 08-08-18 08:15 AM

You mentioned that a serial number and registry on the cover? I have only seen this on newer aircraft, according to Cessna publication department AFTER 1976?
Thanks for you input.
Regards, BILLS

Flyer770 08-08-18 08:37 AM

Yes, once the empty weight and balance sheet is made out for your exact airplane, staple it in the back of your owners manual and write the N number and serial number on the front cover. Or write in your exact empty weight inside. Or both.

cessnadriver 08-08-18 04:54 PM

Thanks for the information. I talked with my local FSDO and the flight examiner. The flight examiner agreed with the FSDO that Cessna DID NOT issue a flight manual for my 1965 and his suggestion was to print and attach the e-mail from Cessna pubs. to my OWNER MANUAL. I could also write my serial/"N" number to the cover.
Thanks again.
BILLS

general 08-10-18 09:34 PM

I swear some of these examiners now days, you have to wonder how they got to be examiners. No AFM for early models, the military did develop a AFM of sorts for the 02 s but not for civilian, I agree Find a different CFI

cessnadriver 08-11-18 09:37 AM

Hello ALL.
Well I finally got my MEI to realize that my old C337 does not have a flight manual and the examiner told me to just staple a copy of the e-mail from Cessna stating same to my Owner manual. So all is well I should start my CLT training very soon.
Appreciate all the help. Regards.
BILLS