Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Radiorax PIREP Request (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=5101)

hayesjaj 12-16-21 07:08 PM

Radiorax PIREP Request

Has anyone installed the Radiorax avionics tray mount kit in their 337 (preferably a G or H model)?

hharney 12-16-21 08:13 PM

The only STC they show on their website is for a Turbo 182

hayesjaj 12-16-21 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hharney (Post 27581)
The only STC they show on their website is for a Turbo 182

Herb, their STC document SA01330LA AML lists gobs of makes/models including everything 337. I'll attach it here.

JAG 12-17-21 11:03 AM

I installed the RadioRax in my C337A (and yes, STC applies) and love it. The avionics shop loved it as well when they went to install my GTN750 and GTX345. I had bought the spacers they sell for the installation, and it went pretty smooth. My advice would be - while the spacers work well, add another washer on each side to give just a little extra room. Avionics shop said it was tight for the GTN sliding in, and an extra 0.020" to 0.040" would have been nice.
Jeff

hayesjaj 12-17-21 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAG (Post 27583)
I installed the RadioRax in my C337A (and yes, STC applies) and love it. The avionics shop loved it as well when they went to install my GTN750 and GTX345. I had bought the spacers they sell for the installation, and it went pretty smooth. My advice would be - while the spacers work well, add another washer on each side to give just a little extra room. Avionics shop said it was tight for the GTN sliding in, and an extra 0.020" to 0.040" would have been nice.
Jeff

Did it require much surgery? The manual says something needs to be cut but it isn't clear what would need to be modified. Any chance you have some pictures?

JAG 12-17-21 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the "surgery", but it wasn't too bad. the lower switch panel (grey in picture) comes and blocks the rack extension if you want it longer and to go down further. You can't see in the picture as it is behind the instrument panel edge (in black), but had to trim some of that lower grey panel where it interfered. once you go to install, it will be fairly apparent.
I think I did the "trimming" with a file and maybe some tin snips or a hand nibbler. You will also trim the RadioRax to length. I went as long as I could go on the RadioRax. Just take your time, however, not a tough job at all.

Jeff

hayesjaj 12-18-21 10:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JAG (Post 27585)
Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the "surgery", but it wasn't too bad. the lower switch panel (grey in picture) comes and blocks the rack extension if you want it longer and to go down further. You can't see in the picture as it is behind the instrument panel edge (in black), but had to trim some of that lower grey panel where it interfered. once you go to install, it will be fairly apparent.
I think I did the "trimming" with a file and maybe some tin snips or a hand nibbler. You will also trim the RadioRax to length. I went as long as I could go on the RadioRax. Just take your time, however, not a tough job at all.

Jeff

That's great, thank you! Cessna really made lives difficult in the 73 and on models by changing the panel structure from the fully removable face to an integrated structure. Part of that change involved integrating the avionics support rail as a flange on the pilots side. I suppose we will need to cut this away entirely to make it fit. See attachments for what I mean.

JAG 12-21-21 09:55 AM

Wow - yep, it looks like you have to a bit more cutting than I did - will have to break that whole flange edge off. Dirty job but so worth it!

Now we will need to see "AFTER" photos!

Jeff

hayesjaj 12-21-21 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks! Unfortunately, I think it is a non-starter for the G models. I took the time to mechanically scan (used a FARO arm) my panel in the process of developing the new metal overlay. One of the items I found is the vertical section on the right hand side only measures around 0.42 inches, give or take a little. The width of each of the Radiorax units is 0.7in, which looks like it fits great on yours.

Sadly, a lack of response from Radiorax directly suggests that they know it won't work on G models.

I will certainly post in progress pictures of the updates, radiorax or not.

JAG 12-27-21 09:36 AM

On the one side of my panel I did not have a lot of space either - I installed the kit RK1020; the rail is only 0.375 wide. That may work for yours?
Jeff