Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Can 66 'A' brakes be upgraded to the "improved" type? (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=4557)

YankeeClipper 10-11-19 08:30 PM

Can 66 'A' brakes be upgraded to the "improved" type?

According to the 337 history document from Cessna Pilots, the 67 (or B model) had "improved" brakes. According to various sources of 337 performance specifications (e.g. Bill's), that model reflects this with a notably shorter landing distance. Since I'm interested in short field performance, I wondered if the A (or the original unlettered model) can be upgraded to the later type brake, practically.

JAG 10-16-19 10:40 AM

Brakes

2 Attachment(s)
YC,
I think practically - the later model brakes should work - it looks to be the same torque plate and brake disk assembly for the various models. As you can see, there are different P/N/s assemblies for the brake caliper assemblies themselves - but the structure they attach too and squeeze are all the same.

Practical is always different than approved...

Jeff

YankeeClipper 10-16-19 01:52 PM

Thanks Jeff. I noticed the "when exhausted" part you highlighted there. So seems to indicate that you can upgrade, and are essentially directed to do just that. Am I reading that wrong?

-Gray-

JAG 10-16-19 02:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Gray,
You are reading that correct - however you have to look at the applicability code for your serial number aircraft. If you are S/N 0001 thru 0525, your brake P/N is only 1241157-3. If you are after S/N 0525, then there are some options on the brakes once exhausted.

All that being said, physically, they are all identical. As near as I can tell, the 1241157-3 is a Cleveland 30-61 brake assembly. The B model and later with Brake C163030-405 is a Cleveland 30-61D brake assembly. I have attached the pages from the Parker parts breakdown, and the only difference I can find between these brakes, is the pistons are different (same size though) as they have a little spring on them. There is no difference in sizes, brake linings, etc, so my assessment is that there is no performance difference in these brakes, other than a small improvement on the piston to help keeping them from sticking...maybe?
Jeff

general 10-19-19 07:20 AM

Yes, you should be able to no problem in fact I upgraded at 336 to the later model brakes, no major issues at all

YankeeClipper 10-19-19 09:57 AM

Thanks, both. This is handy to know.

General,

Out of curiosity did you notice any improvement in stopping ability?

-Gray-

general 10-19-19 02:55 PM

Yes, early Sky Masters especially the 336 even had smaller thickness disc, and if you were doing a lot of texting they get real hot if you had both engines.
running.
I know it probably made a 10% to 15% difference in stopping in a whole lot better dependability.