Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Sources for hydraulic fittings, swivels and hoses? (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=4797)

YankeeClipper 09-24-20 05:47 PM

Sources for hydraulic fittings, swivels and hoses?

IA informed me today that Cessna wants profane money for a single swivel fitting for the gear. What's your go-to for such things?

Frank Benvin 09-24-20 07:15 PM

https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql...Y3NDU2MA%3D%3D

YankeeClipper 09-24-20 09:11 PM

Hmmm...wonder what o-ring exactly would be used. I used to spend 1000 bucks to save 50 on my car brakes. Wouldn't complain if it were the other way around.

mshac 09-25-20 10:22 AM

Thanks Frank!

Tips like this is why I love these forums!

Buy an O-ring assortment. It may set you back $25, but you'll never buy an o-ring again, and you'll always have just the one you need! You can test-fit until you find the exact o-ring. Works great for brakes too.

I'm not the first one to say it, but mechanics today have a "change the part" mentality rather than a "repair the part" mentality. One A&P/IA I know works on Challengers - he jokes that he and his crew don't actually "fix" anything, they just change out parts! And he's right!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Benvin (Post 25531)

YankeeClipper 09-25-20 07:54 PM

I'm definitely intrigued by this, and wasn't kidding about the car brakes comment for that matter. There was always something incredibly satisfying about giving an old part new life. In this case, and in my ignorance, I would be concerned about picking an o-ring that was made of the wrong material, or just wasn't of the right makeup to withstand the friction, or any pressure or compression in there, or of course the brake fluid.

Definitely happy to learn something however.

Skymaster337B 09-25-20 08:17 PM

The o-rings are MS28775-010 and MS28775-110. So easy an A&P can do it. Bench vise highly recommend to tap out the pins.

YankeeClipper 09-25-20 08:56 PM

Thanks all--this is too tempting to not try. I'll report back.

Dan schultz 09-26-20 07:51 AM

The Parker store for JIC swivel fittings

wslade2 09-27-20 05:16 AM

Be sure to use “mil-spec“ o-rings 5606 compatibility

mshac 09-27-20 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Benvin (Post 25531)

When viewing the picture on a computer, remove the "m." in the front of the URL, and you'll be directed to the regular site instead of the mobile site. Much higher resolution picture on the regular site!

YankeeClipper 09-27-20 04:30 PM

Yep ... saw this, and it was much of what inspired me. My next question was, well, what material would be right for the application? Mr(s) slade has given a clue to this.

Any and all direction is (and has been) appreciated here.

wslade2 10-19-20 01:56 AM

What was the final solution for leaking brake swivel fitting? I now have one too. Who does overhaul? Or did you disassemble replace o rings and it is holding?

mshac 10-19-20 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wslade2 (Post 25710)
What was the final solution for leaking brake swivel fitting? I now have one too. Who does overhaul? Or did you disassemble replace o rings and it is holding?

I believe two solutions were offered:

1. Rebuild it yourself with new o-rings

2. Buy a replacement swivel fitting from Parker for like $10 (non-aviation of course, but the exact same part pretty much).

wslade2 10-20-20 12:20 AM

Is there a part/model number for the fitting from Parker? I've been looking and don't see anything that has the mobility of the original part.

mshac 10-20-20 08:48 AM

If you can remove it and take it into your local Parker store they can match it up or you could take a picture of it and send an email and let them take a shot. Hydraulics are hydraulics in a swivel fitting certainly is nothing new Under the Sun.