Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Sensor Locations (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=5285)

CO_Skymaster 11-27-22 11:36 PM

Sensor Locations

I have an EI MVP50-P on the front engine that was reading some impossibly high number on the Manifold Pressure (1400Hg instead of about 21Hg). EI said to check the Manifold Pressure sensor and connections to see if it was malfunctioning, which I thought would be on the intake manifold after the air filter. I could not find the sensor location. Can someone tell me where the MP sensor would be on an IO-360? Is it in some unexpected place?

I've been trying to learn more about where some items are on my aircraft, so I don't have to rely on getting it into the shop anytime an issue comes up.

Thanks,

Karl

Learjetter 11-28-22 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On my air-breathing G model, I used the MP port on the forward induction plenum (the Y after the air filter) when I put in my GI275 EIS. See pic, blue arrow points to port location. You may also need to check MP plumbing where it passes thru engine baffle at right rear behind cyl #1.

CO_Skymaster 11-30-22 12:53 AM

Thanks for the answer, I will go take a closer look.

Multimotor 11-30-22 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO_Skymaster (Post 28763)
I have an EI MVP50-P on the front engine that was reading some impossibly high number on the Manifold Pressure (1400Hg instead of about 21Hg). EI said to check the Manifold Pressure sensor and connections to see if it was malfunctioning, which I thought would be on the intake manifold after the air filter. I could not find the sensor location. Can someone tell me where the MP sensor would be on an IO-360? Is it in some unexpected place?

I've been trying to learn more about where some items are on my aircraft, so I don't have to rely on getting it into the shop anytime an issue comes up.

Thanks,

Karl

According to EI's instructions on their website,
"Manifold Pressure Transducer Installation:
Mount the PT-30ABS Pressure Transducer on the inside firewall or in the equipment bay under the aircraft instrument panel."

Rick Erwin 11-30-22 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO_Skymaster (Post 28763)

Thanks,

Karl

Hi Karl, I also have EI’s MVP-50Ps. My Manifold Pressure Transducers are model PT-60ABSs and mine are located in the avionics bay just aft of the forward firewall, mounted on the right sidewall. This location is where my IA thought it was best to place them at installation, yours could be anywhere in the avionics bay, I would guess. Mine are gold colored boxes about 3”x3”x2” with a clear vinyl tube coming out of the top of them. EI probably has a picture on their website of what you are looking for.

Rick

CO_Skymaster 12-04-22 12:08 AM

Thanks for the info. I was expecting it to be a wire harness going to the sensor itself. That's why I was having trouble finding it. My Manifold Pressure gauge was reading normal (about 21 hg) when first installed, but later went to some high number around 1400 hg. It has been that for the last 5 months. I asked the EI personal if this could be a loose connection, and I went down to check it about 2 weeks ago and now it's back to 21 hg. I'm guessing a loose connection but was having trouble find the interface between the EI wiring and the sensor itself. I'll watch it to see if the issue returns. Thanks for the help.

Karl

ljmolina 01-26-23 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Learjetter (Post 28764)
On my air-breathing G model, I used the MP port on the forward induction plenum (the Y after the air filter) when I put in my GI275 EIS. See pic, blue arrow points to port location. You may also need to check MP plumbing where it passes thru engine baffle at right rear behind cyl #1.

Hey LearJet,
I am looking into getting a pair of GI275 EIS's... quick question about the MP sensors... Yours were ok out of the box since your plane is NA? I have turbos on mine and my MP gauge redlines at 37in with a top of 40"... garmin only has a 30" sensor....I cant find one to go as high as 40"....I know I will never see that but I do redline on TO.

wslade2 01-26-23 08:45 PM

Just curious
My shop opines that JPI has the less problematic sensors and systems vs EI and others by their experience on multiple makes and models….

Learjetter 01-26-23 10:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljmolina (Post 28923)
Hey LearJet,
I am looking into getting a pair of GI275 EIS's... quick question about the MP sensors... Yours were ok out of the box since your plane is NA? I have turbos on mine and my MP gauge redlines at 37in with a top of 40"... garmin only has a 30" sensor....I cant find one to go as high as 40"....I know I will never see that but I do redline on TO.

There are multiple sensors listed in the EIS install manual, see attached pages. I used a variety of sensors, some from a 6cyl g3x sensor kit and some from third party sellers. If the sensor is on these pages, it’ll work with gi-275 EIS.

I love mine! Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

GearUp 03-05-23 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljmolina (Post 28923)
Hey LearJet,

I think that "Garmin 30" manifold pressure sensor is actually 30 PSIA rather than inches of mercury. If so, that would be approximately 61 inches of mercury and it should be sufficient for our turbos.