Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Hello Out There, question about wing spar AD (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=601)

03-10-03 06:25 PM

Hello Out There

Hi all,

Just found this forum. Logged a couple hundred hours in a 337 in the early 1980s. Lost my medical about 4 years ago, sold my (ugh!) Mooney TLS. Doc says I should have my medical back in about 90 days. I anticipate looking for another airplane soon thereafter. I really liked the Skymaster (in fact I was looking at them when I bought the stinking Mooney - wouldn't fit in my hangar). More importantly, my wife really likes the idea of a 337 even though she's never seen one in real life (I explained the advantages of centerline thrust). So, I'll be mostly lurking for a while. I do have one question though. I've heard rumors of something variously referred to as a "tail boom AD" or a "wing spar AD" but haven't been able to find much information. Can anyone educate me on this matter? Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Jim

kevin 03-10-03 07:21 PM

There is no tail boom AD that I am aware of.

There is a wing spar AD. From memory, I believe it goes like thisfor aircraft not used in rough applications such as power line patrol:

All 337s prior to 1973:

Inspect wing spar at 5000 hours, and every X hours thereafter, I think X is 500, but can't remember.

P337s from 1973 onward:

Inspect wing spar at 10000 hours, and every X hours thereafter.

Other 337s after 1973: can't remember.

The inspection requires special equipment, but folks on this board have found people to do it. Except for power line patrol and fire fighting aircraft, and I have never heard of any defects being found yet. (May have happened, I just haven't heard about it.)

Kevin

stackj 03-10-03 07:59 PM

AD Number is #78-09-05 - Recurs every 500 hours. Look at the home page, this web site, for a link to info on Skymaster ADs. Use this for information only. The actual text of all AD's and accompanying data is available on www.faa.gov.

FRED-E 03-10-03 08:15 PM

Wing Spar AD

Kevin
I have a copy of the AD if you want it, 5 pages,31 kb, I could E-Mail it or attach it here.
Fred N358

Jerry De Santis 03-10-03 08:49 PM

Skymaster

Jim (Hardball), If you live not far from Nashville, why don't you join us at our April meeting. Learn first hand from a lot of Skymaster owners what a great plane it is.
Jerry:D

WebMaster 03-10-03 08:51 PM

AD

As you can see, after 5K hours for the non-pressurized models, the low flying thing has no application. As a safety issue, any plane that you buy, you should consider getting it done as part of the pre-buy.

03-11-03 11:54 AM

Thanks everyone for the ad info. Jerry, Nashville may fit my schedule. Thanks for the invite.

Regards,
Jim