Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Hydraulic filter (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=1924)

Skymaster337B 02-22-07 01:16 AM

Hydraulic filter

Has anyone ever changed or cleaned the hydraulic filter? This is on a 1967 Skymaster (and the filter is mounted on the engine fire wall).

The book says to clean the filter, but I wonder if it is easier and better to replace it with a new one.

Thanks,

Rob

skymstr02 02-22-07 03:56 PM

Its just a wire screen. Very easy to clean and reinstall.

Skymaster337B 02-24-07 10:25 PM

Thanks, sounds easy. And if I can also ask, there's no reason to bleed the system after cleaning the filter, right? My understanding is the system is automatically bleeding.

Also, anything special to clean the filter off? Is it better to use solvent or just compressed air?

Rob

Ernie Martin 02-24-07 11:19 PM

Do you have the service manual? I wouldn't attempt any work -- even easy ones like this one -- without the service manual. In it you would learn that:

a) you clean the filter with a solvent,
b) you don't need to bleed it, and
c) it calls for you to replace the O-ring with a new one.

I bought both a service manual and a parts catalog (so you can determine the O-ring part number before calling dealers) for $45 on a CD from www.mccurtaintg.com

Ernie

skymstr02 02-25-07 10:41 AM

Cleaning hydraulic filters/screens is not covered under preventive maintenance in the FAR's, so unless you are a licenced mechanic, you must be supervised by an appropriately rated mechanic in order to perform this task. The mechanic must return the aircraft to service in accordance with 14CFR43.9.

Keven 02-26-07 08:54 PM

Or maybe . . . .

This thread got me thinking, and looking at FAR Appendix A (c) "Preventive Maintenance." This is the section that describes what maintenance an owner can self-perform. It's actually a pretty close call.

(c)(8) allows: "Replenishing hydraulic fluid in the hydraulic reservoir."

(c)(23) allows: "Cleaning or replacing fuel and oil strainers or filter elements."

There's a good argument that reading the two sections above together would allow the cleaning of the hydraulic screen.

Shoot, it's easier to get to and clean the hydraulic screen in 337s than it is to get to and clean the fuel strainer elements. It's easier to reach (no body bending), screen is easier to clean (much bigger mesh), and the safetying is easier to do than either of the fuel strainers (no blind safetying -- hopefully less blood).

On the other hand, the FAA clearly knows how to specify hydraulic fluid issues -- which they could have specifically stated in section (c)(23), unless they just consider hydraulic fluid to fall under "oil" category in (c)(23). Neither black nor white, and I've not seen a case on point. But interesting nevertheless.

To be safe, you should learn the system and process, and have your A&P sign it off after you do it and he inspects it. It's easy to do, will save you money, and is easy for the A&P to check. Just know, it ain't rocket science on a 337 AFTER you look at the Service Manual, Parts Catalog, and do it once or twice.

IMHO

Keven
________
Nevada Dispensaries

skymstr02 02-27-07 08:26 AM

I agree, but the government and common sense do not necessarily go hand in hand.

stackj 03-01-07 10:38 PM

This could be the understatement of the year. And it was only Feb 27!

kilr4d 06-13-18 08:07 AM

Ordered the o-rings, going to pull the screen out and take a look.

I wonder if it's ever been cleaned....

n86121 06-20-18 11:55 AM

Just did this during annual

I wish I had the photos from the annual. Both front and rear were like torn window screens. . Replaced. I think they are to keep large moosh out of the hydraulics. Mine were both shot.

hharney 06-20-18 01:42 PM

I have photos of mine. Not too bad when I pulled mine. Cleaned and reinstalled per SM

I'll post a photo when I get back