Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Flight Instruction and Recurrent Training (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Multi Engine Rating in a 337 & Instructor Question (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=4427)

Monorailboy 01-09-19 07:38 PM

Multi Engine Rating in a 337 & Instructor Question

Hi,

Am I able to get my Multi Engine Land Rating in a 337 ?

I currently do not have a multi engine rating but want to purchase a 337 and use it to gain this as well.

Also looking for a 337 Instructor in the Northern California area. My insurance carrier will require instruction from an instructor who has experience in a the same make model to qualify.

Thanks

edasmus 01-10-19 04:56 PM

Yes, you can obtain your multi-engine rating in a Skymaster. If you do this however, you are limited to in-line twin engine aircraft only. A restriction would appear on your newly obtained multi-engine rating. I believe the FAA created this rating specifically for the Skymaster.

If you do not mind this limitation on your rating, then go for it. I personally obtained my multi-engine rating years ago in a conventional twin so my rating does not have this limitation. The reality of the situation is the last time I flew a conventional twin was on my check ride 17+ years ago. It has been all Skymaster ever since. So if I had this limitation, it would not have changed anything for me. Personal preference is really all that matters here.

Disclaimer: I believe this to be true but it should be verified please.

Good Luck,

Ed

fsnewton 01-27-19 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edasmus (Post 23418)
Yes, you can obtain your multi-engine rating in a Skymaster. If you do this however, you are limited to in-line twin engine aircraft only. A restriction would appear on your newly obtained multi-engine rating. I believe the FAA created this rating specifically for the Skymaster.

If you do not mind this limitation on your rating, then go for it. I personally obtained my multi-engine rating years ago in a conventional twin so my rating does not have this limitation. The reality of the situation is the last time I flew a conventional twin was on my check ride 17+ years ago. It has been all Skymaster ever since. So if I had this limitation, it would not have changed anything for me. Personal preference is really all that matters here.

Disclaimer: I believe this to be true but it should be verified please.

Good Luck,

Ed

You’re correct Ed. The difference between an ME and an ME w/ centline thrust restriction is the Vmc demo (5min maneuver). I would just do the conventional checkride so you have options if you decide to fly any othe ME other than a Skymaster.

Scott

cessnadriver 03-12-19 12:08 PM

Multi Engine Rating in a 337 & Instructor Question

Hello ALL. I've had this discussion with SOAPA members BEFORE. This is ONLY my opinion. I fly for the Civil Air Patrol in Pennsylvania. We have many ridge-lines in the state but no mountains and A LOT of tree in areas of mostly unoccupied. So I started looking for a twin for my personal use. I purchased a 1965 C337 MOSTLY DUE TO a fear of the conventional twins and losing a engine on take-off and the roll to the dead engine. I do not plan on flying any conventional twins so the CLT restriction does not bother me. So for someone using a C337 for initial training would not benefit from learning on a conventional twin and then re-learning to fly a C337. Again MY OPINION!
Regards, BILLS C337 owner and A&P.