Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   landing gear mirrors (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=480)

Sten 12-26-02 05:08 AM

Mirror

Fred,
Any chance you could post a picture of the mirror installation?
/Sten

Paul Sharp 12-26-02 09:53 AM

Mirrors: Mine are just the kind you get from an RV store, with sticky backing. They are mounted on the little separators at the leading edge of the wing. Lost one once, just went to the original store and got another - cleaned the old sticky stuff off and applied the new one - works great. They are those convex things you see mounted on the outside mirrors of pickups sometimes....

Sten 12-26-02 10:23 AM

Mirror

OK, understand the mirror. Not sure what you mean by wing separators? Don't think you mean the light shield inboard the landing light - to far away... I had an idea to make a mirror bracket to go where the strut attaches to the wing, but didn't get that far yet.

FRED-E 12-26-02 11:30 AM

Mirror

Sten
My mirror is installed with 2 of the screws in one of the inspection plates, I will post a picture within the next few days, with instruction (don't get out much in this ice).
Fred N358

Dale Campbell 12-26-02 12:00 PM

Mirrors

Sten,
I made up two mirrors riveted to the round inspection cover on both wings. Very easy to do. Get a round sticky back convex mirror at auto store 3 or 4 inch in diameter. Bend a aluminum plate at a 90 degree angle and rivet it to the round inspection cover. My two I put on work great. By the way, I puchased my 337H from a guy in Ronnaby, Sweden two years ago. He flew it to the states for me in 2000. Dale Campbell.

WebMaster 12-27-02 08:34 PM

mirror

we have a convex mirror mounted on the strut that supports the radar pod. It is a very simple mounting. I can see the right side gear completely, as it cycles. It is very handy to know that everything is working correctly, and not have to rely only on the lights on the panel.
Also, when in flight, we can actually see the whole right side of the airplane.

WebMaster 12-27-02 08:39 PM

picture

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of our installation

FRED-E 12-29-02 05:57 PM

Mirror

1 Attachment(s)
This is what my mirror looks like. I am going to put one on the other side one of these days.
Fred N358

FRED-E 12-29-02 05:59 PM

Mirror

1 Attachment(s)
This is another of the same Mirror. I can send the dimensions of the holder if you need them.
Fred N358

EZCOPE 01-02-03 09:13 AM

Gear mirrors

Having a mirror to check landing gear position is a good confidence builder. On 72 and earlier models putting a mirror on the landing light shield works good. I have on on the left shield not only to check gear operation, but to see the rear prop and engine when I start, or any other time. I've only lost one mirror in the last 17 years.