Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Where are these placards supposed to be? (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=5269)

Rick Erwin 10-27-22 03:05 PM

Where are these placards supposed to be?

1 Attachment(s)
These are cowl flap placards for the front and rear engines for a G Model. Where on the airframe are they supposed to be placed?

Pictures would be a plus…

Thanks,

Rick

patrolpilot 10-29-22 08:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not much help, Rick, as I don't do any maintenance on my airplane. I have exhausted the morning, searching the maintenance and part catalogs to no avail. The only thing I can offer is it is going to be only one placard based on the serial number.

Attachment 2817

I don't think it will be on a cowling or flap, as the only mention of a placard among those pages is on the oil filler door.

wslade2 10-29-22 01:13 PM

I haven’t been able to get to my plane and I might be imagining this, but I think the rear one is on the firewall visible from the oil door. I theorized so that one can open the cowl flaps with a deactivated motor in a pinch because you really need those cowl flaps open to get the rear cowling off. Manipulation of the quick connector would reaching through the oil door (with skinny hands and arms!). I don’t have a front placard that I remember but expect it would be somewhere near the mechanism but wouldn’t have to be visible from oil door in that case. Just somewhere on firewall that makes sense.

I guess an important point here is that there is a process, especially for the rear, to get cowl flaps open if motor isn’t working for further dissassbly.

Rick Erwin 10-29-22 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
patrolpilot and wslade2, thank you both for your input.

I think I mislabeled the "front/rear" on the image I attached at the beginning of this thread.

In my "P" manual both placards are shown as item number 38. Item number 38 in the textual parts listing is just one item and shows- 1 "Units per Assy", and no- "Usable on Code", so the placards would apply to all planes covered by my parts manual.

I'm thinking there is one placard for the front cowl flaps (as it has the vertical rod), and one for the rear cowl flaps (as it has the horizontal rod) and both placards come as one "unit" under part number 1500022-2 since they are each shown to be item number 38 ... even though there are two actual part numbers as shown on the placard images in the parts manual. Cessna hasn't made this easy to interpret.

Attachment 2818

I expect these placards are long gone from most of our planes. I know I certainly don't have them.

If no one can definitively tell me where these placards attach, then perhaps after I get the cowls back on, I'll look for the best place to afix them.

Rick

Mich3773 11-01-22 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've never noticed the cowl flap placards. Here's a photo of the nose placard.

Rick Erwin 11-01-22 10:29 PM

Mich3773 thank you for the reply. I have the placard in your photo. I'm looking for the location of both the front and rear engine cowl flap placards that are in the attached photo at the beginning of this thread. Thank you again for your effort.

Rick

Kim Geyer 11-01-22 11:43 PM

Check you flight manual. It has the location of the required placards and markings, it may show those

Rick Erwin 11-02-22 07:52 AM

Hi Kim, my Flight Manual doesn't mention or show these placards, I expect because they are not required, as those in the TCDS are.

Do any of your Skymasters have either, or both, of these placards?

Rick

Kim Geyer 11-02-22 11:24 AM

I think it was on the oil cooler baffle below the dip stick so you could see it if you opened the oil door.

Rick Erwin 11-02-22 12:23 PM

Thank you Kim, I’ll check out those locations as candidates…

Rick

wslade2 11-02-22 09:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is picture through my rear oil door
Hope it downloads ok
See attached photo link
Look like front one long gone

Rick Erwin 11-02-22 11:50 PM

Thank you wslade2! That's exactly what I needed for the rear cowl flaps.

Now to fill in the blank for the front cowl flaps...

Perhaps by the oil cooler, like Kim mentioned.

Rick

cessnadriver 11-13-22 10:19 AM

Where are these placards supposed to be?

Rick.
I have a 1965 337, my placards are located (rear) on the engine cowling near the cowl flap itself (on the right side cowl). Front engine the placard on the right side fire wall near the cowl flap motor. It probably does matter as long as its visible near the cowl flaps themselves.
Hope this helps.
Regards, BILLS

Rick Erwin 11-13-22 10:54 AM

Thank you BILLS, I appreciate the information. When I get to the airplane I will investigate.

Once I get these located I will post pictures for posterity.

Rick