Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   FAA Approves Electronic Ignition - Possible Avfuel Solution? (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=2946)

CO_Skymaster 02-23-23 01:20 AM

@bjornfb

Hi Bjorn,
I was asking questions in the past about installing Electroair ignition in my 337A. I finally received an estimate to have them installed, but the time to install seem extreme. Do you know how many hours of labor were involved in front engine and rear engine installation. The manufacture I believe had the number of about 10 hours of labor per engine, but I received something like 40 hours per engine for my estimate.

Thanks for any help,

Karl

bjornfb 02-23-23 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO_Skymaster (Post 29041)
Do you know how many hours of labor were involved in … installation?

Sorry, I don’t: they were installed as part of a larger “catch up on deferred maintenance of the previous owner” effort and so I don’t know how much the ElectroAirs took by themselves.

-Bjorn

Learjetter 02-23-23 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO_Skymaster (Post 29041)
@bjornfb

Hi Bjorn,
I was asking questions in the past about installing Electroair ignition in my 337A. I finally received an estimate to have them installed, but the time to install seem extreme. Do you know how many hours of labor were involved in front engine and rear engine installation. The manufacture I believe had the number of about 10 hours of labor per engine, but I received something like 40 hours per engine for my estimate.

Thanks for any help,

Karl

Karl, not an Electroair answer, but just FYI:
I put a Surefly SIM in place of Left mag on my engines. Took about six hours over two days for both engines, including unboxing, doing the 2 forms 337 and log entries, new harness routing, new wiring, SIM programming and timing. But I’m very slow, and I’ve got a rear access hatch for rear engine mag access and the interior was removed for annual. If I had to start with an unopened aircraft, I could see 10-12 clock hours for both engines. When Surefly gets dual-installation approval, I’ll replace my other mag with another Surefly.

-LJ

CO_Skymaster 02-23-23 09:06 PM

Thanks for the replay. I'm talking to a second mechanic about installation to see if they come up with the same figure. If they do, the difference between what the manufacture believe is the install time and the mechanics install time has a large discrepancy. I'll let the forum know what I find out.

Karl

hharney 02-24-23 03:13 PM

Russ installed Electro-Aire on his G model
Contact him at

CRDedrickson@gmail.com or on this forum through PM

n86121 02-25-23 11:32 AM

Add a lambda O2 sensor in the exhaust with display,
and a knock sensor,
with an ECU that automatically advances timing,
that can lean to the edge of knock detection,
....now you're talking.

As you fellow dinosaurs recall,
older cars and boats ALL had mechanical points with centripetal advance mechanisms.
Little weights and springs twirling around.
Crude but effective.
Not reliable, but functional for the time.

AC Delco (and others) came out with direct drop in replacement electronic distributor series,
that have their ECU IN the distributor cap.
They automatically figure out 4,6, or 8 cylinders, and advances RPM curves accordingly.
Not tied to a knock sensor, as did some of the original OEM ECU stuff.

Now imagine that in an airplane,,,,,

mshac 02-25-23 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n86121 (Post 29062)
Add a lambda O2 sensor in the exhaust with display,
and a knock sensor,
with an ECU that automatically advances timing,
that can lean to the edge of knock detection,
....now you're talking.

As you fellow dinosaurs recall,
older cars and boats ALL had mechanical points with centripetal advance mechanisms.
Little weights and springs twirling around.
Crude but effective.
Not reliable, but functional for the time.

AC Delco (and others) came out with direct drop in replacement electronic distributor series,
that have their ECU IN the distributor cap.
They automatically figure out 4,6, or 8 cylinders, and advances RPM curves accordingly.
Not tied to a knock sensor, as did some of the original OEM ECU stuff.

Now imagine that in an airplane,,,,,

I'd be shocked if exactly what you describe does not already exist in the Experimental aircraft world. They've got all kinds of goodies certified AC aren't allowed.

I've seen Experimentals run modern Corvette engines, so I assume the automotive ECU is in there doing its magic!

Here's an LS3 on a Velocity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRuF30l9FSU Its got TWO ECU's, each one running four cylinders!