Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Mushy brakes (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=5464)

Rick Erwin 12-29-23 06:36 PM

Hi Randy! My last 4 “peaks” have been the best out of the last 35 years! I hope you have a great New Year!

Rick

Joes 12-30-23 11:47 AM

Rick, I’ve owned a couple of the 6 in wheel versions of the 337’s and the stopping power of these are marginal at best. Can’t comment on the larger diameter wheel option. One things for certain it’s difficult or nearly impossible to flat spot the 6 in version. Regards, Joes

Rick Erwin 12-30-23 12:03 PM

Thank you, Joes. My G model has the larger main wheels, and the stopping power is certainly adequate. I was asking about the brake pressure as I was wanting to pressure test a swivel fitting. I put a pressure gauge inline at the left brake caliper and all I could get out of it was about 4-500 PSI. I took the swivel fitting to 1750 PSI and no leaks, so I think it should be good to go.

Rick

Joes 12-30-23 01:08 PM

Just do a visual if there is no fluid leaking .... no pressure loss. BTW could you lock up the wheels on the larger version, not that you would want to. What is the diameter of the brake rotor and wheel on the larger version.

Rick Erwin 12-30-23 11:41 PM

Joes, the swivel fitting was already out for a rebuild and I wanted to pressure test it prior to reinstall, it held 1750 PSI for 24 hours. While I have not tried to lock up the brakes, I think I could. The optional large tire is an 18x5.5. I’ll be back at the plane on the 2nd or 3rd and will measure the brake disc for you then.

Rick

cjordan 12-31-23 09:40 AM

It is pretty easy to lock up the brakes with 18x5.5 set up.

Rick Erwin 01-02-24 02:52 PM

Joes, the heavy duty brakes have a diameter of about 9.75 inches.

Rick

mshac 01-02-24 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Erwin (Post 29907)
While I have not tried to lock up the brakes, I think I could.

I've never locked the brakes on my P337H with HD brakes, but I do feel the overall brake effort is high compared to other aircraft. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

I once landed at a small rural airport that a "crown" in the middle of the runway such that if you went over it fast enough, you'd catch a couple inches of air. I did in my 172P and instinctively mashed the brakes too hard while we were airborne for a split second. That stopped my tires from rotating and when we "landed" again, I blew both my main tires. Embarrassed the hell out of me because I had one of my favorite flight attendants with me. :cool:

Lucky for me, the lone A&P on the field hadn't gone home, and happened to have two tires that fit. I flew away $600 lighter. I think that "crown" put that A&P's kids through college. He had the most extensive tire inventory you've ever seen at a rural one-runway airport.