PDA

View Full Version : WTB: bottom tail boom covers

Shanmoon
01-24-24, 02:37 PM
Looking for lower tail boom covers (the ones at the bottom off the rudder assembly).

My Skymaster got jet blasted up onto its tail and the lower tail boom covers are cracked and damaged. It is getting a full inspection, especially since the line guys at the airport took it upon themselves to push it back upright and slammed the whole weight down onto the nosewheel suddenly, potentially damaging the gear, motor mount, and/or front firewall.

Hoping I come out of this just needing lower boom covers and tail beacons.

GAdams
01-24-24, 07:04 PM
I'm sorry to see that happen to you. I can't help you with the parts, but any good fiberglass person, either cars or boats, can fix that right up for you, good as new. I'd inspect but wouldn't worry too much about the nose coming down hard. These birds sit on their tails pretty often and I think there might be some give and take on the stress they can handle.

Learjetter
01-24-24, 10:49 PM
2d the fiberglass repair option. You might also try Maxim in Ukraine…he advertises on Facebook for his interior parts often…he might have rudder skids?

Also try McFarlane part number GF1431001-11

Or try Knots2u

mshac
01-25-24, 01:52 PM
Other than placing a tail boom on your aircraft every time you tie it down, how could this have been prevented? :confused:

The tie down ropes looked very loose in the photos.

I use chains, not ropes (learned that lesson the hard way meself).

When properly chained down, with zero play, the tail boom cannot hit the ground as there isn't enough slack in the chains to allow it.